· 3 -4lbs. grass fed beef roast
· 1 cup flour, plus 2 tablespoons reserved for gravy
· 1 teaspoon dry mustard
· 1 teaspoon onion powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
· 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
· 1 cup chopped carrots
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel
· 2 tablespoons butter
1. Whisk together the flour, dry mustard, onion powder, salt and black pepper. Coat the roast in the flour, covering all sides.
2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the skillet and when it shimmers, add the roast. Sear the roast on each side until completely browned.
3. Spray the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray and add the roast in the pot.
4. Saute chopped onions and carrots in the same skillet where you browned the roast until the vegetables have softened slightly. Salt lightly.
5. Add two cans of Rotel, red wine vinegar, and salt, to taste. Stir well and then pour the mixture over the roast.
6. Cook on low heat for 8 hours or on high for 6 hours.
7. When the roast is ready, remove from the crock pot and keep warm while you prepare the gravy.
8. To make the gravy, melt three tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add three tablespoons of flour to the melted butter and stir together well. Pour the remaining contents of the crock pot into the skillet. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Reduce heat and allow to simmer, stirring until it reaches the consistency you desire.
9. Serve the roast and gravy over rice or mashed potatoes